“Pickles with mouth watering spices are eaten only with rice!” Do you think this is
Pesara pappu semiya payasam is an south Indian style dessert recipe. A smooth creamy and delicious tasting moong dal kheer. One such traditional Indian dessert is Pesara pappu payasam prepared from good quality yellow moong dal, sugar and milk. This humble earthy sweet dish was part of our festive thali on Ugadi and what I really like is its subtle sweet flavor leaving you with a pleasant mouth feel. Cooked moong dal is simmered in milk and sugar till well blended and flavored with cardamom powder and ghee toasted cashew nuts and raisins providing that crunch. Try it and you are assured of an absolutely delectable treat. Can be served either warm chilled. You may also like other traditional South Indian sweets like Pootharekulu , paper like sweet from andhra , minapa sunnundalu / Urad Dal Laddu and other famous sweets of Andhra from Sitara Foods.
Pesarapappu - 1/4 cup
Semiya / slim vermicelli - 1/2 cup
Ghee -2 table spoons
Milk -1/2 ltr
sugar - 1 cup
2 cups water to pressure cook moong dal
1. Heat a pan, add the moong dal to it and roast it for approximately 4 minutes till a nice aroma emanates the kitchen and it turns a light brown shade. Remove from pan and pressure cook the dal till soft and mushy.
2. In the same pan, add a table spoon of ghee and toast the cashew nuts and raisins till golden brown.
3. In the same pan, add a table spoon of ghee and fry the semiya / vermicelli till light golden colour.
4. In a heavy bottomed vessel, boil the milk (1.5 liters), stirring once in a while and once the milk is boiled (it should reduce to a little over one liter), add the cooked mushy moong dal, semiya and combine well.
5. Next, add the sugar and go on stirring on low flame till well blended for at least 12-15 minutes.
6. Add the cardamom powder and toasted cashews and raisins. Serve warm or refrigerate until chilled. It tastes good both warm and chilled.
Now, Enjoy your lovely sweet that is very helpful in reducing body temperature. Yes, You heard it right, Moong dal or pesara pappu is know for its medicinal body temperature reducing properties.