“Pickles with mouth watering spices are eaten only with rice!” Do you think this is
I can honestly hog on fresh seafood any time of the day! Growing up in Dubai we lived very close to the beach and the weekly trip to the fish market with my dad excited me. It was a great deal in my home, prepping and cooking seafood. My mom in spite of her work schedule found time to make some great dishes. The Kerala fish curries with the kudampuli and the extract of coconut, fish and crab cutlets, fish marinated in spices and gently cooked in banana leaf which we call meen pollichathu are some of my fond childhood memories of tasty seafood at home. Cooking seafood takes some good practice as it can be easily overcooked.
Seafood can be prepared in a variety of ways. They go great in your curries, grilled, deep fried, shallow fried, steamed, in your pasta and much more. I love cooking and eating prawns. They are so full of the ocean flavor, naturally sweet and succulent. I find different ways to cook them and i believe one of the best ways is to subtly spice them and cook them off. One of my favorite party snack and a great hit with my family and friends, Parmesan cheese crusted prawns with a fresh salad on the side. Quite easy to make and if done well they just get clean bowled in minutes!!
Ingredients to make Parmesan crusted fried Prawns with a Baby Spinach and Cherry tomato salad and a Honey Mustard Mayo dip
- Fresh washed, peeled and deveined prawns about 20
- bread crumbs fresh about 2 cups.
- Parmesan cheese about a cup
- Lemon about 2 medium.
- dry Garlic powder 1 tbsp
- Red Chilli flakes 2 tbsp
- baby Spinach about 5 handfuls
- cherry Tomato 2 cups.
- honey Mustard half a cup
- store bought mayo or home made 1 cup
- Oil for frying
- 3 to 4 Eggs for dipping before frying
- Thin bamboo skewers
- salt and Pepper as per taste
How to make Parmesan crusted fried Prawns with a Baby Spinach and Cherry tomato salad and a Honey Mustard Mayo dip
- Marinate your prawns preferably for couple of hours before with garlic, red chilli flakes, salt, pepper and a good squeeze of lime, leave in the fridge. Before frying hook the prawns on to the skewers. Prepare the egg dip.
- Mix the parmesan and bread crumbs. Heat the oil. Dip the skewered prawns in the egg first and then in the crumb mix and deep fry. Make them in batches so the pan does not get too crowded. Place them on a kitchen tissue to drain excess oil.
- Prepare your salad with a simple vinaigrette of honey, lemon, salt and pepper. mix the spinach and tomato .
- mix well the honey mustard and mayo and you are ready to serve.
Prawn is any form on cuisine is an wonderful tasting non veg ingredient. One such delicacy is Prawn Pickle from Sitara Foods, they have 2 variants of these prawn pickle, 1. Regular prawns pickle and 2. Gongura Prawn Pickle. One can buy both regular prawn pickle and gongura prawn pickle online from Sitara Foods. Other variants of Non Veg pickles are also available to order online at Sitara.